This was one of the skins from our studio sessions, while we were also working with the Trillian skin for Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, The Trillian FAQ and the Oxymoron skin, obviously. (like Radiohead working on Kid A and Amnesiac at the same time...)
We received no salaries for all these. hehe doesnt matter.
Our aim of the design is...
1. Make Trillian Look Professional:
I hope (I hope...) Trillian can be one of the prettiest prorgrams on your desktops, apart from Sonique, WinAMP and Windows Media Player, which happens to be all media playing softwares. As there is a "Skin" feature in Trillian, there's no reason why Trillian has to look ugly. And therefore, I hope Trillian, by a new and professional-looking skin, can attract new users quickly in the next release.
It's not pixelism. It's not Aqua. It's not really Luna (although color is). It's not plastic. It's not glass. It's not metallic. It's not imitating any material. It's not imitating any kind of mechanical stuffs... mmm, it's just a nice window.
2. Make Trillian Look Original:
Trillian Professional gathers new ideas and old ideas. New ideas are... argh, something new, ok, something new. Old ideas are the previous three skins designed by Trillian by Ryan Saghir - Trillian Original, Trillian Business Skin and Trillian Default Skin... If you look at some parts of Trillian Professional carefully, you may find a lot of elements from the three old skins!
It is completely original. All Icons (even the medium icons), all windows and everything everything were created from the ground up, no matter by means of process, by means of ideas and concepts, and by means of techniques. 100% Trillian, 50% Kid. It's not composed of any themes - It's not about anything. It's completely abstract - It doesn't have any distinct meanings yet. Therefore, I can say, as the designer, that this new design is: Trillian.
The tint of blue is Cerulean Blue(s)... It's not Windows XP's toy blue.
3. Make Trillian Look Integrated:
I researched on the skinnable programs listed in Deviantart, except those completely change your UI (e.g. Litestep, WindowBlinds). Most users like to use skins that suit their desktop. Therefore, we can see that there are lots of 'rips' (refer to JG's essay) for Trillian to suit their WindowBlinds or LiteStep. However, actually most users in the world share the common Windows interface - Blue Bar Top and Grey Window.
So the devil asked me to make something completely outlandish: Dye its hair, pierce and make it punk! But the angel also told me to make something that lets Trillian live happily with other windows ever after - yet retains Trillian's originality. Oh my dear Angel Piccadilly, well, I trusted you and so I made this one. It's very Windows-ish, yet also very Trillian-ish!
1. It's basically everything I invented and discovered during these months of skinning for Trillian... You know, interesting ways to place medium-icons, The blinking Transfer Icon... well, these techniques are now applied by many Trillian skinners today.
2. It looks big, right? But actually you don't need a high resolution to use it. My 800x600 fits Trilly well.
I find it fits Windows XP really well. Surprisingly it fits Windows 2000 and Windows ME, too!!!
And you can use 640x480, too!!!
3. Created with Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop. Sliced and Exported with Jasc Paint Shop Pro. Scripted with Notepad... ok? :S
4. The skin is not fully compressed yet due to lack of time, so it's pretty large. It's in the progress... next build
for sure it has to be optimized... now the memory consumption is quite high.
5. Many things are reserved to be completed in 0.64 as there are several skin bugs in 0.6351. They are:
- Drawer may collapse to zero if you resize it. "Minx" for drawer is needed.
- Toolbar shows only one buttons. I reserved a vertical space for a vertical toolbar... as Kevin said that it will be supported in 0.64... mmm
- A bug in the scrollbar. cant fix this still for days...
- Big bug in emoticons. cant fix this still for days... makes me so nervous...
(I know this makes the skin incomplete... but it's the deadline and i cant fix the bug... so let's go for the Microsoft way!!!!)
6. Key Feature: SIX TIMES Full on Region Work! (***Different Regions for Different Windows!!!!***, i.e. it's not just the same-looking corners in every window.) This is probably the most irregular sized set of windows for Trillian.
7. Do you wonder why all those icons and regions were programmed in one line with tabs? (Check out Advanced Skinning Tutorial in future. )
I havent really decided what the DCC Window should look like... I always think that it should be one of the drawers... but it isn't. I divided types of windows in Trillian clearly by color... only DCC window remains a bit ambivalent.
I'll change the look of the Contact List very probably, too.
Does it look like Windows Media Player 8's Professional skin?
...mmm! I just saw it!! in some sense, kind of... maybe because its designer sets similar aims for WMP. Well, Trillian Professional looks much better, doesn't it?! ... so WMP and Trillian can live happily together ever after! xp
If you try the best you can, If you try the best you cant, The best you cant is good enough~
I really like the ICQTrillian skin to be bundled with Trillian 0.64. (Me votes... ) I can't decide what other skins to be included though... so many.
Guess what guys! I'm
reopening my stores
(Etsy and Storenvy)
and commissions, I
can finally announce
that I'm getting
married and I need
to save as much as
possible for the big
day, July 27th.
before anyone asks,
the wedding is not
been planning it for
a long time...
away time is back
:D! This time I've
got 1500pts to give
away c:The last
giveaway was really
well received so I'm
doing another! After
the way the last one
panned out, one
thing I would like
to remind you guys
of is to PLEASE
PLEASE follow the
guidelines so you
can be properly...
mmkay like 2
people asked me this
after I held my
giveaway T U T im
sorry I didn't give
you a direct and
easy to understand
answer but... I hope
this will be better
than the answer i
gave you two XD I
wont note you back
but i hope you will
see the journal ; A
;I've also had
Welcome to APRIL
you for being here
whether you are a
Member yet or not!We
welcome you and your
continue to grow
each month, with
artists of a variety
of art media!We are
nearly at 4,000
`anmari has been spreading her infectious positivity throughout our community for over 6 years. Throughout this time Ana has been at the core of all things devious, passionately developing an eclectic gallery, helping organise devmeets, participating in chat events and also recently completed dedicating her time as a Community Volunteer. We are absolutely delighted to bestow the Deviousness Award for May 2013 to `anmari, congratulations! Read More